Monday, August 4, 2014

Are we there yet?

This time last year (well 5:30 pm August 3... I wrote this yesterday), I was hooking my hand into my dad's elbow, preparing to walk down the aisle toward my fiancĂ©. I was surrounded by gorgeous bridesmaids, handsome groomsmen, our adorable flower girl, loving parents, our amazing pastor, family, and friends. Everyone was waiting for me there. Normally, I'm not one for attention, but on this day, it didn't matter because all I was there to do was to place my hand in that of my husband -in front of God- and to show loved ones what He had ordained. Just like life, there are ups, downs, laughter, tears, a time for everything, yada yada - all those (true) cliches. Marriage reflects those things well. But what we are learning to do is to let our marriage reflect the love, mercy and grace that exists between Christ and the church. Love that is innervated only by the Holy Spirit who guides us, and nothing that the other can do for us. It is beautiful. I'm so grateful for this year, and for everyone who has loved us through this transition (which is still in progress)! Although we dated for a long time, there are a lot of new things that have been reserved only for marriage and it takes time to learn how to respond to each other, family and friends, how to shift our relationships accordingly and how to be purposeful about the way we love each other and those around us. 

Thank you Aubrey for being SUPER honest, for being just as excited to be near me as when we first met in Berry College Church Choir... and for the little things like still opening the door for me (after 9 years!), always pulling me closer and waking me up with a kiss on the forehead. I'm still learning how to be such a hopeless romantic, but thank you for loving me anyway. After waking up next to you for 364 days, I can't wait for the next 365. 

I'm grateful for this year - for getting a chance to learn how much I didn't know already. Everyone says the first year is an adventure and it is. Here's to a hundred more :)
<3 

  
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment